- Departments I through Z
- Planning & Community Development
- Development Review
- Erosion & Stormwater Management
Erosion & Stormwater Management
Franklin County Erosion & Sediment Control Plan
Soil erosion is the process of detachment and transportation of soil materials by water, wind, ice and gravity. The goal of the Franklin County's Erosion and Sediment Control (ESC) Program (PDF) is to control soil erosion, sedimentation, and non-agricultural runoff from regulated "land-disturbing activities" to prevent degradation of property and natural resources.
Virginia was among the first states to specifically address ESC from construction sites by establishing Virginia's ESC Program nearly 30 years ago.
Title 10 of the Code of Virginia, adopted in 1973, requires all localities to adopt a local erosion and sediment control program. The 1986 Appropriations Act required the Division of Soil and Water Conservation to conduct a review of local compliance with the Erosion and Sediment Control Law. The State regulates all land disturbing activities of 10,000 square feet or greater. In addition to this, local ordinance requires permitting if the land disturbance is 3,000 square feet or greater and within 200 feet of surface water. For single-family dwellings, please see the Erosion and Sediment Control Agreement in Lieu of a Plan (PDF).
For permit coverage effective July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2024:
- 2019 General Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (VPDES) Permit for Discharges of Stormwater from Construction Activities (PDF)
- Chapter 7: Erosion and Sediment Control and Stormwater Management (PDF)
- Single-Family Agreement in Lieu of a Stormwater Management Plan (DOCX)
- Single-Family Detached Residential Structure Coverage Letter (PDF)
- Single-Family Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan Template (DOCX)
Virginia Erosion & Sediment Control Program
The Virginia Erosion and Sediment Control Program:
- Provides procedural information to citizens and developers and accepts applications for site plans, erosion control plans, and other land development applications
- Reviews sign permit applications (PDF), inspects sites, and issues sign permits
Questions or Concerns
Should there be any questions or concerns regarding any of the regulations or permits listed on this page, citizens should contact Ronald Wilson, Development Review Coordinator, by calling 540-483-3027, ext. 2429 or emailing Ronald.