- Departments I through Z
- Planning & Community Development
Planning & Community Development
Great communities don’t just happen. They are the result of a series of good decisions made over time by a diverse and committed group of people, all pulling in the same direction. The Department of Planning and Community Development seeks to facilitate this process by providing stakeholders with the tools and analysis needed to establish and implement a shared vision for Franklin County’s future.
Long-Range Planning: Preparing for Change
Long-Range Planning functions include:
- With community input, establish a vision for the future and anticipate change. Research and analyze trends.
- Identify opportunities and constraints.
- Develop plans, programs, and regulations to manage change.
- Seek opportunities for grants and community improvement.
Long-Range Planning includes the following responsibilities:
- Area, Village, and Corridor Plans
- Comprehensive Plan
- Coordination with other departments, regional partners, and other jurisdictions
- Demographic research (PDF)
- Grant writing and compliance
- Long-range transportation planning
- Ordinance amendments
Current Planning: Guiding & Managing Change
Current Planning functions include:
- Administer regulations related to land use and development.
- Assist property owners and developers in the application process
- "Shepherd" applications through the process
- Manage the agenda for the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors and track progress of applications.
- Where appropriate, influence applications to incorporate sound planning principles and techniques.
Current Planning includes the following responsibilities:
- Application intake
- Manage and improve application process
- Pre-application conferences
- Presentations to the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors
- Rezonings (PDF)
- Special Use Permits (PDF)
- Subdivisions (PDF)
- Variances (PDF)
Development Review: Providing Standards for Change
Development Review functions include:
- Ensure that changes to the physical environment comply with applicable codes and standards.
- Manage non-discretionary processes related to land development.
- Inspect for compliance, and enforce the rules.
- Provide information and education about the regulatory environment.
Plan Review and Enforcement include the following responsibilities:
- Erosion and Sediment Control
- Major and Minor Site Plans
- Public education
- Zoning Permits (PDF)