Commissioner of Revenue
Notice of Office Closure
Beginning March 19th, 2020, in an effort to keep our community healthy and safe due to the COVID-19 concerns, the Commissioner of Revenue office will be closed to the public for walk-in customer service until further notice.
The Government Center lobby will remain open and our staff will continue to serve the public by using alternate means of communication (phone, email, fax, mail). A display, table and drop box have been setup in front of our office. Use the drop box to leave tax returns, business filings, and other correspondence. A message pad, envelopes, state tax forms and instructions booklets, state tax estimate forms, and a binder containing business forms and filing instructions will be available for taxpayer use.
As always, our staff is available by phone at (540) 483-3083 to answer your questions and provide assistance. We also want to remind you that a portion of our forms and applications can be submitted online and filings are accepted by email as follows:
• Business Tangible Property Forms – Madherleyn.Torres@franklincountyva.gov
• IFTA Reports – Margaret.Torrence@franklincountyva.gov
The Real Estate Tax Relief for the Elderly or Disabled Homeowners 2020 application is being mailed to existing applicants with a postage paid envelope. If you are not a current applicant and feel you may qualify for this benefit, please contact our office.
We thank you for your patience, understanding and cooperation during this time.
The Commissioner of the Revenue, Margaret S. Torrence is an elected Constitutional Official, chosen by the voters of Franklin County and serves a four year term. The Commissioner of Revenue is the chief assessing officer of local government.
We are constantly striving to improve our office with procedures to better serve the public. Our goal is to provide the highest quality service to the citizens of Franklin County and the towns of Boones Mill and Rocky Mount. The following are the responsibilities of the office of the Commissioner:
- Administering the Prepared Food and Beverage Tax as well as the Transient Occupancy tax
- Administering the Real Estate Tax Relief for the Elderly and Permanently disabled citizen
- Assessing all new construction as well as newly sub-divided parcels of real estate
- Assessing the value of personal property, business personal property, machinery and tools and merchants’ capital
- Issuing various business licenses for peddlers, dance hall, amusement machines, etc
- Maintaining the land books
- Manages the Land-Use Taxation program
- Processing Virginia State Income Tax returns and quarterly estimated tax payments
Starting A New Business in Virginia
In Franklin County every business is required to register with the Commissioner of Revenue office for local taxation. Submit a New Business Registration form to begin the process! There is no fee to register. However, certain types of businesses may require a business license. If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us at (540) 483-3083, option 2 or Email Commissioner of Revenue.
Offices to Contact When Starting a New Business
- Planning and Community Development to determine if you need a special occupancy or use permit, or for zoning issues.
- State Corporation Commission to register a business entity or fictitious name.
- Internal Revenue Service to obtain a federal tax ID number and tax information.
- Virginia Department of Taxation to register for state business taxes.
- Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation to determine if you need a state license.